Sunday, March 14, 2010

Brunchie, Lunchie, Gabe and Danks

I woke up at 1:11 today.

Was in a bit of a funk as to where to go for brunchie...well, definitely more like lunchie, due to my lion's share of sleep...

Cafe Zoe or Danks St Depot; both of which had been recommended to me by a colleague at work (ugh - don't even get me started on the subject...).

Deliberation; decide decide decide...Cafe Zoe. Quick peep at the menu online (it's cheating and spoils the fun, but I hate being disappointed - especially when so much thought has been put into the decision making process).

Key address into Gabe (my GPS. I love that name but would never name my kid that. By the way - eternally grateful Dad - it's been an absolute lifesaver!) Reach destination. Closed. No worries. Dank Street it is. Parking located in a jiffy. Yah - no ticket required! Finally waltz in (well not quite), and am greeted by a lovely waitress; "I like to take care of our customers eating by themselves." Coffee? Yes please - weak, soy cap. Menu is compact but varied and enticing. Order home made flatbread with cumin and spice infused chickpea dip, as well as a green side salad dressed with aged balsamic vinegar. My coffee arrives. Oh. My. Gosh. It's amazing. Froth is perfect. Mountains of choc choc on top top and blend is to die for. Salad and bread come. It's just delicious. So incredibly fresh. And not too heavy either. I eye what looks like bread heaven on another table - it's 'garlic bread.' It don't look like no garlic bread...like that found in greasy pizza joints and supermarkets. It looks like garlic bread was always meant to look - in fact the way it looks brings imaginary ideas of how it would taste. It looks as though it would literally melt in your mouth. Definitely coming back. Definitely. In fact, might just make it a weekly ritual. Have been wanting to find a regular haunt. Dank - you've won my heart. In fact, it reminds me of a restaurant in Melbourne that I used to love. Emphasis on 'used to.' Past tense. I no longer love this place. Whether it's got something to do with the fact that I worked there and had quite a significant break down during my brief employment, both of which meant I could no longer frequent it, or whether it's because it suddenly got wind of how much everyone loved it and became a snobby schmuck, reducing portion sizes significantly, and increasing prices astronomically, I'm quite unsure...

Oh well, it don't matter no more, because I've found someone new. And his name starts with 'D.' I've already told him I love him. And it's only been 12 hours...
What only reinforced this decision was the fact that Fratelli Fresh and Macro Wholefoods are a skip and a jump down Danks St. Beautiful apples and peaches and plums from Fratelli. And jam. Oh, jam, how I love thee. I got home and I gobbled you all up (well, almost). Blood Orange Conserve del Padre. Blood Orange Conserve del Deliciosous. Made by Giuseppe McDonald. With googly bits everywhere. Yum yum yum.

On a slightly lower note, the store and it's 'pollo and carne' labels, along with panfortes and nougat and panettones made me miss Nonna and Nonno so much that it hurt.

Where are you my beloveds, my heart cries
Wishing you back, from where you are, is a selfish wish
But it doesn't make me miss you any less
My heart longs for the day when I will see thee again.
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...beautiful, people...


I ended the day on Oxford Street, where I bought my papers and searched for something sweet...to no avail. Think this search will have to continue tomorrow...Movie Monday - oh how sparkly and shiny it is!

Gabe, take me home. And faithful he be, domicile we tooted.

No comments:

Post a Comment